UPDATE 20.09.2013: SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED!
THE WINNER WILL BE DISCLOSED IN A FEW DAYS..STAY TUNED! 🙂
THE WINNER HAS BEEN CHOSEN!
Was it an easy task? NOT AT ALL! If you didn’t have a look at the pictures please do so now.. they are all stunning and unique.
I want to thank each one of the participants, it’s been an exciting ride and I’m very glad for all the submissions received, thanks again guys!
So, here comes the winner! After careful consideration I decided to avoid putting my other favorites, as in all honesty I should have mentioned 25 pictures! They all represent the many emotions I feel when I find myself in front of the sea: Power, peace, strength, fear, loneliness and much more! Every picture I received was a wow! this is so beautiful. No jokes! Each one of them.
I chose the winner as I kept going back to that same picture over and over, and I understood that was it! So here it is, lades and gentlemen:
ENTRY N.4 BY NOEL – TRAVEL PHOTO DISCOVERY
To me this is just a perfect picture: the colors, the wilderness of the sea and the atmosphere are just incredible! So..CONGRATULATION TO NOEL! can’t wait to discover what he comes up with for the next round! 🙂
My dear friends! I’m so excited to announce that I’ve been chosen as the winner of Travel Photo Roulette round 64! whohooo!
The winner of the 64 round was „Turtles travel“ and they chose the Theme „Dance“, which was perfect for me, as I was teaching ballet in a private school in Thailand. Great timing!
I decided to submit one of my dearest picture on my happy times with the little ballerinas attending my lessons, jumping in their pretty pink tutus! I feel honored as there were some truly amazing shots, check them out here!.
Travel Photo Roulette was started by Jeremy at Living the Dream as a way for travel and photography bloggers to showcase their photos from around this world. Since its founding in 2010, hundreds of amazing and inspiring photos have been submitted, each under a unique theme. For each round, independent travel bloggers are asked to submit their photos. Then a winner is chosen to host (and judge) the following round
THE THEME FOR THE ROUND 65 IS…… „THE SEA“!
Choosing my theme was actually quite easy for me, I thought about it for no more than 10 minutes, and I decided to follow my heart (as usual!).I was actually quite surprised that no one had chosen this theme before. There was a theme „Water“ but I deeply love the sea in all it’s aspects (I’m from Sardinia after all, what do you expect?). The sea can convey a lot of different strong emotions: it can scare you, let you think about infinity, love, peace, philosophy and so much more. Looking over the horizon has been one of the most amazing, deepest experiences during my trips around the world.
You can submit whatever picture fits the theme, not necessary a beach, it can be anything really, from underwater shots to sunsets or sunrise over the sea, waves, beach, people playing on the shore. The important thing is the emotion you felt when looking at the scene.
Here are some of my dearest shots to give you an idea (but don’t limit your choice to that, be creative, surprise me!!)
One of my dearest shot of Thailand, so quiet and peaceful. I stayed in awe for hours admiring the infinite and thinking about a million things.
This is one of the best sea landscape I admired during my trip to Indonesia. It looked like I was entering a painting. It was magical.
The Travel Photo Roulette rotates through travel and/or photography blogs. The winner of the previous round of Travel Photo Roulette hosts the subsequent round on their own blog. The new host then chooses the next theme, a generic keyword or phrase, and players submit their interpretations of the theme over the course of the week of the contest.
At the end of the week, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo from the submissions and displays it as the week’s winning entry. They then include direction to the new host for the next round. Readers can attempt to lobby the author toward a certain photo via comments or the #PhotoRoulette hashtag on Twitter – the author can accept or ignore any lobby as they see fit. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and choosing a phrase for new photo submissions.
- One submission per blog (so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry).
- Post processing is permitted, but photo altering (ie. Photoshopping) is not.
- Abstract submissions are welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. (Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!)
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized (600-800px).
- If you win, keep the following in mind when choosing a new theme:
- Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs,’ or abstract ‘religion.’
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque”, or “Overlooking Creation”. Use something that is able to be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
How to Submit Your Photos
To enter in the Photo Roulette competition just leave a comment below with a link to the image (whether Flickr, Picasa or your own site) so it can be uploaded to this post. Don’t forget to provide a brief description or caption for the photo so we can all get some background on what’s happening.
Check back here throughout the week to see all the entries as they come in and feel free to comment on them. The contest runs for 7 days from today, with the submission dates being September 13rd to 20th. (No more entries will be accepted after 11:59 pm EST on September 20th.) The winner will be announced a few days after the deadline, and they will host round #65.
Spread the Word!
Tweet using the hashtag #PhotoRoulette and share this page with your friends on Facebook, StumbleUpon G+, or your favorite Social Media outlet. The more the merrier! Comments on photo entries are strongly encouraged! We expect to need all the help we can get when it comes time to making decision.
Please remember, submit your entries by September 20, 2013!
I can’t wait to see your photos and hear the stories behind them!
Past Photo Roulette Winners and Hosts
The following is a list of the previously played rounds of the game and the hosting blogger for each. As the game has been running for a few years now, a few of the winners are no longer blogging and the posts have since been removed from the list below. Click the host’s link to go directly to that entry to see some stunning photographs from the chosen term/phrase!
1. Nov 4–10, 2010 – Living the Dream – “Animals”
2. Nov 17–24, 2010 – Skinny Backpacker – “Road Signs”
3. Nov 29–Dec 6, 2010 – Dream a Little Dream– “Street Art”
4. Dec 8–15, 2010 – Flashpacker HQ – “Festival”
5. Dec 17–24, 2010 – Over Yonderlust – “Landmarks”
6. Dec 26–Jan 2, 2011 – Don’t Ever Look Back – “Beaches”
7. Jan 5–12, 2011 – ThePlanetD – “Portraits”
8. Jan 15–22, 2011 – Travel with a Mate – “Motion”
9. Jan 26–Feb 3, 2011 – Johnny Vagabond – “Water”
10. Feb 8–15, 2011 – Ken Kaminesky – “Urban”
11. Feb 21–27, 2011 – Travels of Adam– “Friday Night”
12. Mar 7–13, 2011 – Itchy Feet Chronicles – “The Journey”
13. Mar 19– 25, 2011 – Brendan’s Adventures – “Changing Seasons”
14. Apr 4–10, 2011 – Shutterfeet – “Storytelling”
15. Apr 13–21, 2011 – 10 Times One – “Piousness”
16. Apr 26–May 4, 2011 – Beached Eskimo – “Learning”
17. May 21–27, 2011 – Travel Junkies – “Architecture”
18. Jun 1–7, 2011 – Destination World – “Transportation”
19. Jun 8–15, 2011 – Living the Dream – “Paradise”
20. Jun 21-28, 2011 – Vagabond Quest – “Clothes”
21. Jul 4-11, 2011 – The Unframed World – “Symmetry”
22. Jul 16-25, 2011 – Beached Eskimo – “Home”
23. Jul 31 – Aug 7, 2011 – BackPackerBanter – “Inspiration”
24. Aug 14 – 21, 2011 – WanderingTrader – “Darkness”
25. Aug 28 – Sep 4, 2011 – Finding the Universe – “Tranquillity”
26. Sep 12 – 19, 2011 – Fearful Adventurer – “Food”
27. Sep 23 – 30, 2011 – Adventures of a GoodMan – “City”
28. Oct 06 – 13, 2011 – Globe-Trekking.com – “Reflections”
29. Oct 17 – 24, 2011 – Scene With A Hart – “Framing”
30. Nov 9 – 16, 2011 – Vagabond Quest – “Silhouettes”
31. Nov 26 – Dec 3, 2011 – Hecktic Travels – “Music”
32. Dec 11 – Dec 18, 2011 – Globetrotter Girls – “Love”
33. Dec 25 – Jan 1, 2012– Man on the lam – “Humor”
34. Jan 8 – Jan 15, 2012 – My Walkabout – “Winter”
35. Jan 15 – Jan 22, 2012 – The Art of Slow Travel – “Blue”
36. Feb 6 – Feb 13, 2012 – Ten times One – “Depth of the Field”
38. March 7 – March 14, 2012 – Nomadbiba – “Sunshine”
39. March 24 – 31, 2012 – Travel With Kat – “Local Character”
40. April 10 – 16, 2012 – The Travel Bunny – “Street Scene”
41. April 23 – April 30, 2012 – Adventure Crow – “Spirit of the Country”
42. May 7 – 14, 2012 – Food Travel Bliss – “Evening”
43. May 17 – May 24, 2012 – Matt Gibson – “Adventure”
44. May 30th – June 6, 2012 – Flashpacker HQ – “Once In A Lifetime”
45. July 23rd – July 30, 2012 – Skinny Backpacker – “Surreal”
46. August 10 – August 17, 2012 – 2away – “Smile”
47. Aug 27 – Sept 2, 2012 – Bridges and Balloons – “Excellent Splendour of the Universe”
48. Sept 8 – Sept 15, 2012 – The GypsyNester – “What the ?!”
49. Oct 22 – Oct 29, 2012 – Runaway Juno – “Sweet”
50. Nov 12 – Nov 19, 2012 – GQ Trippin – “Play”
51. Nov 25 – Dec 2, 2012 – Life’s Little Victories – “Friendship”
52. Dec 15-22, 2012 – Breakaway Backpacker – “Face”
53. Jan 14-21, 2013 – Fly, Icarus, Fly – “Serendipity”
54. Feb 1-8, 2013 – Travel Transmissions – “Lost in Thought”
55. Feb 15-22, 2013 – Wanderlusters – “The Natural World”
56. Mar 17-24, 2013 – Travel Junkies – “Patterns”
57. April 25-May 3rd, 2013 – Living the Dream – “Your First Time”
58. May12-19th, 2013 – Getting Stamped – “As The Sun Goes Down”
59. June 6-13th, 2013 – The GypsyNester – “Cheesy Tourist Diversions”
60. June 27-July 4, 2013 – Boomeresque – “Revolution”
61. July 18-July 25,2013 – Breakaway Backpacker – “Colorful”
62. August 14-August 21, 2013 – Around This World – “Mountains”
63. August 25th – September 1st 2013: Passports and Pamplemousse – “Hands at Work”
64. September 4th – 11th, 2013: TurtlesTravel – “Dance”
65.September 12th-19th, 2013: Keep calm and travel – „The sea“
Submit your entry by September 20th – or let me know which of the entries below are your favorites:
Images will be posted as they come in.
This Round’s Entries
Photo captions have been provided by the contestants, and provide a bit of background on the setting and some insight on the capture!
ENTRY N.1 BY JEREMY – LIVING THE DREAM
„My entry into this round comes from Nice, France. We were walking along the path that winds around the Mediterranean when we came upon a group of kids jumping off the rocks over and over again. I stopped and took photos of them for about 10 minutes, and this one is by far my favorite“
ENTRY N.2 BY CHRIS –CHRIS IN THAILAND
„Luang Prabang, Laos – or what happens when blue hour meets the water… “
ENTRY N.3 BY MANU-MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS
„The sea in the desert has a special meaning, it means life and surviving and it never stop fascinating.
Photo shoot in the western Sahara, during my 6 month overland trip on a truck across western Africa.“
ENTRY N.4 BY NOEL – TRAVEL PHOTO DISCOVERY
ENTRY N. 5 BY BIANCA NOMADBIBA
„I took this one on a beach in Costa Rica late in the afternoon, when the sun was almost entirely gone. The sunsets that I saw in that place were just amazing, with incredible colours.“
ENTRY N. 6 BY KATHRIN –DREAMS OF FREEDOM
„That night I decided to take a walk on the beach, when I basically saw the sky on fire. Even more interesting than that, were the stones, that someone must have piled up there by the water. So I took the opportunity to capture that moment. I literally threw myself into the mud to take photos, since I didn’t bring my tripod. If you love what you do, all that counts are these precious moments, when everything seems to be perfect and you forget everything around you. I call it Sweet Emotion”
ENTRY N. 7 BY MICKY- THE BAREFOOT NOMAD
„A shot of my husband and our little girl walking along the sea in Isla Mujeres, Mexico.“
ENTRY N. 8 BY ZOF- THE PICKTURES
Beautiful shot of a lady walking on the shore
ENTRY N.9 BY KAMI- MY WANDERLUST
„The photo was taken in Batumi, Georgia (a country in the South Caucasus, not the US state:)), at the coast of the Black Sea. Even if the place is the most famous sea resort in the area it has the beach with stones that isn’t very walking-friendly. Still I loved the place, and the whole country!“
ENTRY N. 10 BY JEREMY- FLY ICARUS FLY
„I shot this photo at Ho Tram beach, about 2 hours south of Saigon, Vietnam. For me, this couple perfectly captures the the giddiness that we all feel when we connect with the sea. There’s just something about the ocean that begets joy. Is it the smell of salt water, the cool sand between your toes or the soothing sound of the waves?“
ENTRY N.11 BY ADINA- GLUTEN FREE TRAVELETTE
„Taken at the southern tip of the South Island of New Zealand – gazing south into nothing but sea in between the beach below and the ice of Antarctica.“
ENTRY N.12 BY NICHOLA – WE TRAVEL COUNTRIES
„A family returning from collecting shellfish at sunset. By the ocean in Siqujor, The Philippines“
ENTRY N. 13 BY TANYA- TANYARAJ
„I took this shot of the waves breaking against the rocks at The Promenade in Pondicherry, India. Somehow the stark contrast of the wide ocean and the dramatic waves reminded me of how humbling nature can be.“
ENTRY N.14 BY THE GYPSY NESTERS
„One of the greatest experiences of my life was when our guide let us loose in a kayak in whale infested waters outside of the picturesque town of Twillingate in Newfoundland. The area is called “Iceberg Alley” and, when the sun is bright, the sea dances with light and more shades of blue than a mind can process.“
ENTRY N. 15 BY STUART EDWARDS- AM I NEARLY THERE YET?
„Taken at Haad Mae in Koh Phangan, Thailand. It’s one of my favourite images of our recent trip there. Just looking at it brings back the memories of the glorious warm ocean!“
ENTRY N.16 BY TOM BARTEL – TRAVEL PAST 50
„After a day of wandering San Sebastián, or Donostia, as the Basques call their own city, we took a long walk along the coast walkway from one side of the city to the other. As is typical in any Spanish city at sunset, the people start to come out to take their evening walk, the bars begin to fill, and the lights begin to come on. In the case of San Sebastián, the light turns gray over the sea, and the waves turn white as they surge over the rocks below“
ENTRY N. 17 BY TO CAPTUREL ONCE
„It’s about to storm in Da Nang, Vietnam. I’m standing across the water and looking back into the city. Lightning and thunder to the right. The sky’s changing colors from light to dark to the left. Standing there and seeing this progression. Mother Nature playing to her own beats. She’s the show. I’m the spectator. Indescribable.“
ENTRY N. 18 BY DONNY – TURTLES TRAVEL
„The sea is near and dear to our hearts. This shot from “The Baths” on Virgin Gorda captures both the beauty and the power of the sea. The granite boulders show the islands volcanic origins and have been shaped by the endless pounding of sea.“
ENTRY N. 19 BY TONY – 20 YEARS HENCE
„I became a scuba diver two months after we started traveling, and ever since then when I think of the sea, I think of what’s under the waves. Cuttlefish are one of my all-time favorite sea creatures, and when we were diving in Komodo National Park in Indonesia I got the chance to interact with this curious little guy for quite a while. Most cuttlefish are shy and retreat quickly, but this one was quite bold and put on an interesting display, changing his shape and color while flourishing his tentacles. Underwater diversity is virtually unlimited and encounters like this are why I love the sea and diving.“
ENTRY N. 20 BY ANWAR – BEYOND MY FRONT DOOR
„This is from my trip to the Dead Sea. It could have been the end of the world too, if the world ended when people said it was going to end. It was a bit chilly here, but really nice getting the chance to visit and float along in the sea for a bit.“
ENTRY N. 21 BY LAUREL – CAPTURING LA VIDA
„I felt this week was a perfect time to share this photo in honor of the Gigliesi- the people of Giglio Island, Italy- and what they have had to endure with the Costa Concordia being forced upon their beautiful island. It’s their story, in all of this, that is untold. They helped to save the lives of over 4000 people and they continue to suffer. This is Luca, a local shop owner in Giglio Porto. He brought me out here with his son to show me the ship and to tell me their story of that cold January night. It is their sea that has been polluted- the events this week are just the beginning of their freedom from this tragedy.“
ENTRY 22 BY DAVE – TRAVEL TRANSMISSIONS
„Human interest photos are the best, but this one captures the essence of my interactions with the sea last year. It’s a scene that presents itself every evening on the shores of Busuanga in the Philippines: as the setting sun burns streaks through the sky, it reveals a color palette that no one could ever recreate.“
ENTRY N. 23 BY STEPHEN S. – A BACKPACKERS TALE
„Sunset while sailing the stunning Dalmatian Coast in Croatia.“
ENTRY 24 BY KAT – TRAVEL MINDSET
„Here’s one from our newest writers, Kat. I love the movement of this photo and experiencing animals in their natural habitats is what traveling is all about to me.“
ENTRY N. 25 BY JADE – VAGABOND 3
„Sunset over the sea of Cortez! „
ENTRY 26 BY LYDIAN- SHOUTOGRAPHY
„I took this picture in Jericoacoara while beach hopping along the Brazilian coast. Jericoacoara is a secluded little village where they say the world’s best windsurfers are training all day long. At the end of the day we walked out to the large sand dune along the coast to enjoy a beautiful sunset together with the other inhabitants of the village.“